Thursday, April 17, 2014

Painting...

From my last post, you'll know that we've been painting... Kitchen cabinets take a long time to paint... one coat of primer and 3 coats of paint, plus lots of drying time, plus other life things that mean we don't paint every day makes it take even longer...

In addition to painting the cabinets, we're also painting the built-in hutch that's in the dining room. When we came to visit and saw the house, we initially hoped we could remove this hutch. But then we realized that the carpet didn't go under it, so removing it would have been a big hassle. So I started looking for pictures of similar built-ins for ideas of what to do and I stumbled across someone's blog post about remodeling their kitchen from a 1970s mobile home. And, since our place is a 1970s mobile home, I was inspired! They had almost the exact same hutch, and with some paint (and removing the fake-glass doors), it actually looked really nice (here's that post: http://mobilehomeliving.org/1978-double-wide-kitchen-remodel/). So, I knew that I'd be painting our built-in. I just decided to paint it with the same colors as our cabinets, since we already had the paint. What I didn't realize is that the hutch is big. I mean, it doesn't look big, but there are so many corners and surfaces to paint that it's really big. So... I feel like it's taking forever to paint. I think I started 3 weeks ago and I still have at least one more coat to finish up... We're still trying to decide what to do with the huge mirror, so if you have any ideas let me know!

Okay, here's a picture. Since it's not finished, it can't be a before/after picture, so it's a before/during picture :-)

1 comment:

  1. You could do something like this: http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2009/10/dining-hutch-redo-and-fall-fillers.html

    ReplyDelete