Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Homemade Flax Seed Hair Gel


*****Check out my updated recipe on my new blog! This recipe is much better because of the addition of essential oils which help with hair health/growth! https://sarahsoilydiy.wordpress.com/2018/11/29/flax-seed-hair-gel/ 


With my super curly hair, I've spent a TON of money on various hair products. I finally found something that worked well, but I was spending around $20 each month on hair products... When I got married, this just didn't fit in the budget, so I started researching how to make my own gel. The gel I'd bought was flax based, so I started there (and never had to look elsewhere). I still need to get slightly better at making each batch consistently the same texture, but it all works. It actually works really really well and I end up spending about $0.10 a bottle rather than $8 a bottle! Even though the hold of my homemade gel isn't quite as good as the stuff I used to buy, I can use more since it's so cheap and the end result is the same!


Homemade Flax Seed Hair Gel

  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup flax seeds
  • 1/2 tsp (ish) vitamin E oil
  • essentials oils/scents (I use coconut and passion fruit)
  • Nylon knee-high (the cheap ones from the drug store)
1. Put water and flax seeds into a pot and bring to a boil, stirring often
2. Boil for around 10 minutes, or until a white frothy gel like liquid forms
3. Let cool slightly and poor into the nylon knee-high. Squeeze out the gel using tongs
4. Mix in the vitamin E oil and scented oils
5. Store in an air tight container. I find that an 8 oz bottle lasts about a week and is fine to be left at room temperature. I store the rest of the batch in the fridge and use it the following week.


1 comment:

  1. If you put the flax seeds in a net before boiling there is no need to strain afterward.

    ReplyDelete